“Outstanding service. They were extremely careful delivering the extra large container into our driveway.” -- A. L. GARNER
After clearing out organic materials (decomposing fruit, a bag of coleslaw, half a chicken squashed in tin foil) and scrubbing the dumpster’s inside walls to get rid of any “dribblage contamination” and smelly residues, he set to work creating order out of chaos. Although he sketches out ideas for the structure, he does not know what the finished work will look like until he starts building it. But he always starts with an understanding of the materials he has to work with, in this case everything from cement blocks, bricks and a large-format printer hidden at the core of the sculpture to scraps of paper, Styrofoam and sheets of black rubber. “You start getting a feel for different weights and a sense of how it will come out,” Harman says. During the visit, he cut cardboard boxes into smaller strips and broke apart wooden pallets—New York apparently has “the strongest known to man”—to create Skip 16’s sedimentary layers. Harman says that sorting through the rubbish and making it into something that is recognisably art is “like therapy”, but he gets the most satisfaction from the conversations he has with passers-by as they watch the work develop. One of them, a local man named Lionel who had visited regularly, stopped by on his way home from work and repeatedly said, “I can’t believe it!” as he walked around the dumpster, seeing the neatly formed block where once there was just a jumble of trash. Kevin Harman's completed Skip 16 (2018), before it was transported to the fairPhoto: Christopher L. Cook... (Art Newspaper)
Residents launched a flurry of complaints on Bridgeport 311, the Park City's portal to the municipal complaint clearinghouse SeeClickFix.com.One smashed-up silver Volvo reported on Palmer Street in November got in the way of snowplows last week and delayed plowing, residents said.“It’s been there over a month,” said Denise Mitchell, 39, who lives nearby and confirmed that her husband Owen reported the car on Bridgeport 311, the city’s rebranded phone app version of SeeClickFix.com.As of Wednesday, 17 abandoned car reports were marked as “open,” including the Palmer Street Volvo. It was also unacknowledged. There’s no way to tell how many have not been reported, or were reported in another way such as a phone call to city officials.“Now it’s hard for the plows to go down the street because this car is still there,” Owen wrote in a comment on his complaint on Friday.It can be be downloaded for iOS and Android. Municipal workers can respond directly to acknowledge, respond, or mark an issue as resolved.“It’s fabulous because it allows people to go on online or on an app on their phone and just quickly type in the address, what the issue is and what they need ... especially during a snowstorm,” said City spokeswoman Rowena White.Unlike calling a city department, web-based reports go through even when non-essential staff stays home, as happened last Thursday and Friday.Essential workers like police officers and snowplow drivers can read the reports, let alone resolve the issues.Some side streets remain unplowed after officials said they needed to tow as many as 200 cars parked in the wrong place. Abandoned vehicles, some reported months ago, also got in the way.The post about the Volvo was not acknowledged as of Wednesday—it’s unclear if the car had been towed or the street plowed.“We hear residents concerns, their level, and their frustrations,” White said. “The goal always is to complete the job.”Around the time the post went up, city officials complained that residents were parking on the wrong side of the street, complicating the snow clearing efforts. They threatened to tow some 200 vehicles.White said that city officials will be meeting Friday ...
Highways 880 and 580.The city’s cleanup department, Keep Oakland Clean and Beautiful (KOCB), picks up trash seven days a week, with a commitment of clearing work orders within three business days.In the last three months, KOCB was able to respond to the work orders within three days at a 93 percent rate, but staff is uncertain that workers can maintain that rate, according to Kattchee.About 75 new complaints on average are reported to the department each day. Of these, about 30 are handled by Waste Management.The city pays $5.5 million a year to remove illegal dumping.In April, the city commissioned a study of illegal dumping piles “to get a greater insight into the roots of the problem,” said Kattchee.The survey examined 75 piles to gain a greater understanding of the sources of the trash, whether residential or commercial, and cities from which they came.The study found that 55 percent of the piles included residential goods, and 8 percent was construction-related debris.Only 3 percent of the trash was homeless-related.“Demonizing the homeless is not going to solve this problem. The data shows that,” said Kaplan.The survey was not very successful in connecting the piles to cities of origin – 63 percent of the piles were of unknown origin. Twenty-nine percent was identified as coming from Oakland.Ken Houston, a local activist, pointed to the public health threat that illegal dumping poses.“The street has no rules, so they’re dumping things that are hazardous that are being carried into our households – on our children’s feet (and) on the wheels of strollers.”Many people have cats, he said. “You can’t see what’s on that cat’s fur.”In addition to responding to complaints, the city has expanded its bulk pickup program for items too large to fit in a trash cart and is planning an educational campaign for residents, utilizing direct mail and social media: Nextdoor, Facebook and YouTube ads. (oaklandpost.org)
Once we get the info, it’s pinged on a map and we go get it.”The site in northwest Houston illustrates both the grand and minute steps to clearing out the debris left by the historic storm, as well as the web of contractors, subcontractors and even sub-subcontractors employed to do it. Many workers, like McDaniel, who lives in Auburn, Alabama with his wife and 9-year-old daughter, have relocated to the area since the storm arrived. Based on the task at hand, they might not head home for a few more months.FEMA estimated debris removal could take six months. Mayor Sylvester Turner told Houston City Council last week he wanted it finished by Thanksgiving and John Blount, the Harris County Engineer, said the county is still on track to achieve its original goal of completing pickup in 90 to 120 days. As of Tuesday, Blount said the county had collected 500,000 cubic yards of debris from the unincorporated sections of Harris County including the cities of South Houston, Shoreacres and Hunters Creek Village.As of Wednesday, DRC had picked up more than 1 million cubic yards of debris for the city, according to Kurt Thormahlen, a general manager with DRC. After Harvey, Turner estimated the storm created about 8 million cubic yards of trash.On the ground, the county has 10 debris sites like the one run by McDaniel. Trucks from across Houston haul trash to the sites to avoid the long lines at waste management facilities where regular trash collecting and commercial trucks report. After loads are brought into debris sites, trucks are used to compress waste, making it easier to transport to its final destination. About 100 cubic yards of debris can be squashed to about 30 cubic yards just by running it over with a truck or excavator.In the first week since the site opened, McDaniel said trucks delivered about 250 to 300 loads a day. Since Saturday, that number jumped to more than 400 per day.Upon arrival, trucks are directed to one of the three piles that represent city and county trash. Both the city and county have contracts with DRC that will pay the contractor based o... (Houston Press)
O’Toole said.Mayor John Tecklenburg said the goal for Tuesday is to get the roadways open."That means clearing trees where they're down, assisting the power company to get power back on and making sure everyone is safe," he said.In Charleston County, about one-fourth of SCE&G’s 190,000 customers lost power on Monday. About 5,000 Berkeley County customers, or 21 percent, lost power. And 14,500 Dorchester County customers, or 25 percent, lost power.A total of 273,000 SCE&G customers in 24 counties served by the utility lost power because of the storm. Utility trucks will make the rounds to repair damaged power lines throughout the day Tuesday and well into the week.Customers of electric cooperatives who lost power also will see action on Tuesday.More than 300 line workers from Arkansas, Virginia, West Virginia and possibly North Carolina will bring equipment and muscle to assist local workers in the effort to restore power. Construction crews will replace poles and lines. Other crews will attend to fallen lines, debris from trees and individual homes whose electric lines need repair.“We’ll do an assessment on damage in South Carolina on Tuesday morning,” said Todd Carter, whose department coordinates assistance for the state’s electric cooperatives.The "First Push Agreement" approved on Sept. 8 by Dorchester County Council and the S.C. Department of Transportation obligates DOT, with help from the county, to begin removing debris from major roadways within five hours of the end of storm conditions, according to county spokeswoman Tiffany Norton.Utility crews will address problems caused by trees in power lines.Though public schools and some businesses will remain closed on Tuesday, many retailers, restaurants and offices will be assessing the storm’s impacts, repairing damage and reopening. Expect more traffic than usual as evacuees stream back into the Lowcountry and beyond. +5 span cl... (Charleston Post Courier)