“Outstanding service. They were extremely careful delivering the extra large container into our driveway.” -- A. L. GARNER
After the feast, recycle the greaseThanksgiving can also cook up some plumbing disasters if you're wrongly disposing of your cooking fats, oils and greases.[embedded content]While it seems tempting, do not flush a pan full of oil down your sink. There are many recycling centers across our state that will take your old fats, oils and greases. Keep these tips in mind:• Don't pour oil down your drain or toilet: It can clog your pipes and/or the city sewer mains.• Don't dispose of oil in compost bins or piles.• Fats in general are bad for compost, and cooking oil is nothing but fat.• Don't pour hot oil into the trash.For more information on composting, recycling and DHEC's Don't Waste Food SC program, visit scdhec.gov/dontwastefoodsc.
A plume of white smoke spotted this week at a hazardous waste dump south of Beatty was harmless steam, according to company officials and state regulators.The US Ecology waste storage facility made headlines in October 2015, after an explosion and fire in a closed landfill for low-level radioactive waste forced the closure of nearby U.S. Highway 95.On Monday, a passing motorist on U.S. 95 saw a large white cloud rising from the facility 110 miles northwest of Las Vegas and stopped to snap a picture of it.US Ecology General Manager Bob Marchand said the plume was “simply steam coming off of one of our treatment processes. There was no releases of any hazardous constituents.”According to the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection, the steam was released during a treatment process to neutralize a tanker of acidic liquid waste.“The resulting water vapor was notably visible due to the cold morning temperatures,” said JoAnn Kittrell, spokeswoman for the agency.Kittrell said the facility’s...
Create a separate pile for storm debris (this includes building or construction materials, drywall, carpet, furniture, lumber, mattresses, and plumbing)Create a separate pile for household appliances (refrigerators and freezers should not contain any food items and have their doors removed for safety)To have refrigerators picked up, call 361-826-2489. All other appliances can be taken to the J.C. Elliott Transfer Station.Don't: Place debris under power lines or low-hanging treesPark cars or place obstructions near curbside brush Place hazardous waste out. It should be taken to the J.C. Elliott Transfer Station at State Highway 286 and Ayers Street.Place recyclable items in the green bin (it is for trash only)Place brush or trash in the blue bin (it is for recyclables only)Block storm drains when setting brush out for curbside pickupBlock sidewalks and driveways when setting brush out for curbside pickupRead or Share this story: http://callertim.es/2wSxaXt... (Corpus Christi Caller-Times)
Resident concerns include noise, traffic, air pollution and plummeting home values. University leaders worry the facility will hamper their efforts of attracting high-caliber students."We understand the necessity, but we think that there's probably [another] area in unincorporated Douglas County that could handle this," said Rock Vista University president Clinton Adams.Douglas County officials said the facility is still under consideration. If approved, residents can appeal to elected county commissioners.The start of an appeal process is still months down the road, according to those close to the effort.Mountain Waste and Recycling is the company seeking approval from the county.Company president Scott Eden said it's challenging to find the perfect location for this type of facility. He warns if the trash and recycling transfer facility is forced into a rural area, waste pickup would become less efficient.Eden also said there shouldn't be noise and pollution concerns because the proposed site would be a closed-off covered facility. (FOX31 Denver)
Norton reported that neighbors were not notified about the project, the house was not tented and that an asbestus "dust plume" filled the air. "Everybody knew the house had asbestos siding," said Norton. "The demo permit process has to change." Norton said not only did his family ingest the dust but also workers on the project were not wearing protective gear and questioned why the town signed off on the demo permit. "You’re (the town) is supposed to be protecting us," he said. "I take responsibility," said Hull. "We didn’t do what we should have done." Hull said, "We do not have direct responsibility for asbestos regulation (that belongs to the state) but when we realized the contractor was going rogue, we should have contacted DEP."The state Department of Environmental Protection approved the initial permit. Hull pointed said the town of Wilmington does not have a process in place to check to see if contractors have the proper documentation to comply with state-issued demo permits."Shame on us, we went on the honor system but it’s not going to happen again," Hull said. "The idea that we are not ‘legally’ responsible is unacceptable to me. I don’t want just a checklist. Contractors are going to have to provide some sort of affidavit and that somebody has documented that what they say they have done is what they have done."Public Health Director Shelly Newhouse said the DEP has added a number of conditions to the permit and that her department is determining the amount of the fine to be levied against the contractor. The fine is $300 per day.Newhouse said DEP is investigating further.Board Chairman Michael Champoux and other selectmen want the house to be encapsulated as soon as possible. (Wicked Local Wilmington)